Joelle Fuchs

Interview with Joelle Fuchs

BA in Biological Sciences, with a focus on social and biological determinants of mental health.

Graduated:  December, 2018 (CONGRATULATIONS and DON’T FORGET US!)

What is your proudest accomplishment as an NC State student?

I had the opportunity to be the second author on the paper: Effects of perinatal bisphenol A exposure on the volume of sexually-dimorphic nuclei of juvenile rats: A CLARITY-BPA consortium study. I really loved working on this project, and both Dr. Arambula and Dr. Patisaul helped me believe in myself as a scientist.

(What Joelle didn’t know at the time of this interview was that she had been selected to be the Department’s first winner of the newly established Inspirational Senior Award, ‘honoring a role model who has contributed a lasting legacy of scholarly excellence, thoughtful engagement, and selfless compassion to NC State.’  Way to go, Joelle!)

What do you love best about your department or major?

The interdisciplinary work that is being done both inside and outside of my lab. I really like the BA in biology, because it allows me the space to tailor my coursework to my interests.

What do you plan to do after graduating from NC State?

Right now, I am taking a gap year to focus more on community mental health.

Care to give a shout-out to a faculty or staff member that you would like to recognize?

I would love to thank Dr. Patisaul for taking me into her lab! She has been a great mentor since my sophomore year and continues to be extremely supportive of my future. I also would like to thank Dr. Lubischer for her work in the department and the commitment she makes to ensuring student success. Thank you so much!

What advice would you give to students at the beginning of their degree program?

Follow your heart! If there is a certain class or topic that really speaks to you, pursue it!

Here are a few other fun facts about Joelle:

• As a Mental Health Ambassador at State, she has done a lot of work with students on identity and visibility, with a focus on mental health. She always wants students to know that they are not alone and that they are visible and worthy.
  • Part-time jobs during school have included Habilitation Technician (working with special needs clients) and Pharmacy Technician.
  • Over four years, Joelle has assisted with research in:
    • social and community psychology
    • environmental toxicology
    • public health
    • developmental psychology
  • Leadership experience includes:
    • leading a spring break trip to Guatemala
    • serving as an officer in the Society for Multicultural Scientists
    • participating in the Leadershape Institute
  • A sampling of awards bestowed on Joelle:
    • the GRIT award
    • Family First Humanitarian award
    • Lawrence Clark Leadership award
    • Black Student Board Student of the Month
    • Society of Multicultural Scientists Outstanding Member, and
    • Multicultural Student Affairs Freshman Honors Award