Interview with Lindsey Gentry

Interview with Lindsey Gentry

BS in Zoology
GPA 3.9
Anticipated Graduation:  May, 2020

Hi Lindsey, what is your proudest accomplishment as an NC State student?

My proudest accomplishment is receiving the ACC Fellowship Grant to conduct my own research on the ‘blotch’ color morphism in East African cichlids. Cichlids are one of the most diverse and quickest evolving vertebrates known, providing information on evolutionary processes. My research focuses on the ‘blotch’ morphism found in both Lake Victoria and Lake Malawi, as the alleles coding for these phenotypes are found at different genetic locations, indicating convergent evolution.

What do you love best about your department or major?

I love the faculty and staff members within my department as they all care about their students and genuinely want to get to know you. I also love the diversity of classes available to Zoology students and how you can tailor the electives to meet your interests. It is also easy to get to know other Zoology majors who share similar interests and career goals.

What do you plan to do after graduating from NC State?

I plan on taking a gap year to further expand my research skills and knowledge by applying to gap year programs that offer recently graduated BA individuals the opportunity to conduct individual research. I then plan on continuing to graduate school to get my PhD, and continuing research as a career.

Care to give a shout-out to a faculty or staff member that you’d like to recognize?

I would like to give a shout-out to Dr. Reade Roberts for giving me the opportunity to conduct research in his lab as well as continuously encouraging me to pursue research. I would also like to thank Dr. Melissa Lamb and the graduate students in the Roberts lab for teaching and helping me with so many lab techniques. Finally, I’d like to thank Dr. Lisa Paciulli for giving me the opportunity to expand my research experience and Ms. Dana Thomas for answering all my questions.

What advice would you give to students at the beginning of their degree program?

I would advise taking advantage of all the opportunities NC State has to offer in regards to gaining valuable experience for your future career. There are so many opportunities on and off campus that are both fun and allow you to expand your resume. I would also suggest joining some clubs on campus as it’s an easy way to make friends as well as meet people with similar interests and goals that will support your own.

Here are just some of the things Lindsey has done or earned while at NC State:

• Conducted independent research in Dr. Reade Roberts’ laboratory
  • Participated in lemur research with Dr. Lisa Paciulli
  • Completed the Research Pack-Track program
  • Received a merit scholarship and two research fellowship grants
  • Delivered four poster presentations sharing her research
  • Earned Dean’s List, 5 of 6 semesters so far
  • Zoology Honors student
  • Genetics Society of America member
  • Frequent volunteer at events featuring animals and education
  • Successfully navigated the university as a first-generation college student and role model.