Shima Idries

Interview with Shima Idries

BS in Biological Sciences – Human Biology concentration
BS in History
Minor:  Middle Eastern Studies
Anticipated graduation:  May, 2017

What do you plan to do after graduating from NC State?

I plan to pursue either a Global Health fellowship or an NIH-funded post-baccalaureate research training program for a year after I graduate from NC State. Afterwards, I plan to apply to MD/PhD programs.

What is your proudest accomplishment as an NC State student?

One of my proudest accomplishments is winning a presentation award at the Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students in San Antonio, Texas in 2015. That year I was the only sophomore to win in my research discipline, Cellular Biology, against undergraduate researchers from across the United States and Puerto Rico. It was my first research presentation and it really boosted my confidence and motivation to pursue my goals further.

What do you love best about your department or your major?

The Biological Sciences department has endless opportunities for students to get involved in science, research, and even outreach. Once you find your niche, you have resources at every corner to help you develop your skills further. The professors in our department are particularly helpful when it comes to discussing careers in biological sciences. Every professor I have had in the department has been supportive, passionate, and invested in the success of their students.

Care to give a shout-out to a faculty or staff member that you would like to recognize?

I definitely would not be where I am if it was not for my PI, Dr. Heather Patisaul. Throughout my two years in her lab she has offered me so much training, advice, support, and encouragement that have boosted my skills and confidence in science research. I’d also like to thank my advisor, Ms. Bobbie Kelley. Since freshman year, she has been extremely helpful and responsive to my needs as a student and I know I can always come to her for guidance.

Here are just some of the other remarkable things we discovered about Shima:

• She volunteered in Guatemala and Belize, and spent a summer health internship in Zambia.
  • She has volunteered locally with Triangle Muslim Aid, Rex and WakeMed hospitals.
  • Shima has presented her research in Raleigh, Durham, San Antonio, and Portland, Oregon.
  • She has worked in two different research labs while at NC State.
  • She completed University Scholars and Departmental Honors program requirements.
  • Shima is a Research Scholar with the Initiative for Maximizing Student Diversity Undergraduate Research Program.
  • She TA’d for the Trio program
  • Shima earned NC State’s Global Perspectives Certificate
  • She has held office in NC State’s Society for Multicultural Scientists and the Muslim Student Association.