Doua Jim Lor

Interview with Doua Jim Lor

BS in Biological Sciences – Ecology, Evolution and Conservation Biology concentration

BS in Environmental Science

Anticipated graduation:  May, 2017

Hello Jim!  What do you plan to do after graduating from NC State?

I plan on finding a job pertaining to the environment, ecology, and wildlife. I want more work experience and more field and research experience before pursuing graduate school. I have spoken with various graduate students with differing opinions, but those who spent some time off seem to bring new perspectives and unique experiences with them.

What is your proudest accomplishment as an NC State student?

My proudest accomplishment as an NC State student is working with a great group of peers to conduct and hopefully publish a paper. We traveled to the Bahamas and learned the basics of research while gathering data on Bahamas mosquitofish in a pretty unique environment. Once back at State, we complemented the field data with data gathered from lab-raised fish. It was an arduous journey, but the end results and all the experiences along the way was well worth it.

What do you love best about your department or your major?

I love learning about the diversity of life and how everything has a certain role or function. With evolution, we learn how the past affects how organisms are presently, and how they can be affected in the future. With ecology, we learn of how everything fits together, including living organisms, their habitats, and how they are a part of something greater. Lastly, conservation teaches us how to best preserve and save not just the concept of biodiversity, but the many individuals and populations that make it up.

Care to give a shout-out to a faculty or staff member that you would like to recognize?

I have been fortunate to have multiple people be a part of my 4 years at State. I would like to thank Mrs. Jill Anderson, Mrs. Susan Lamb, and Mrs. Pa Nhia Moore for keeping track of me, for always being willing to lend an ear, and for having advice for whatever situation I found myself in. They are all exceptional advisors and truly care about their students. I would also like to thank Dr. Brian Langerhans for introducing me to the world of research. His study abroad program, his advice, and his lab helped me realize that I had an interest in research. Without him, I would not have had the experiences that have helped shape my interests as well as making connections with other professors and my peers.

Here are just some of the other remarkable things we discovered about Jim:

• He is a first generation college student who has been on the Dean’s List since 2013.
  • He has two Associates degrees from South Piedmont Community College.
  • He was Vice President of the Hmong Student Association, 2014 – 2016.
  • Jim worked throughout college as an office assistant for Study Abroad.
  • He has loads of hands-on experience related to his major, including:
    • Soil contamination research through the HHMI RISE summer program.
    • Behavioral research on Gambusia hubbsi (Bahamas mosquitofish).
    • A publication on the research findings is pending.
    • Longleaf pine ecosystem research.
    • Animal husbandry internship at the NC Museum of Natural Science.