Research in the Baker Lab is focused on how brain circuits enable animals to understand acoustic communication signals. We study this problem in fruit flies due to their small brains, complex communication signals, and experimental tractability. Our work combines animal behavior, neural recordings, connectomics, computational modeling, and genetic tool building to reveal the mechanisms underlying hearing, and how evolution shapes these mechanisms.
- Biological Sciences Undergraduate Majors and Programs: Biotechnology
- Biological Sciences and Affiliated Graduate Programs: Comparative Biomedical Sciences (College of Veterinary Medicine)
- Biological Sciences Undergraduate Majors and Programs: Genetics
- Biological Sciences and Affiliated Graduate Programs: Genetics
- Biology Major Concentrations: Integrative Physiology and Neurobiology
- Biology Major Concentrations: Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology