Noah Riley

Interview with Noah Riley

BA in Biological Sciences

Minors in Japanese, Genetics, and Biotechnology

Anticipated Graduation:  May 2019

What is your proudest accomplishment as an NC State student?

Spending the summer of 2017 doing research at the National Institutes of Health with the Amgen Scholars Program, studying bacterial serotonin transporters and health disparities.

What do you love best about your department or major?

I love how the BA program allows you to combine biological sciences with any focus in coursework across the university.  I’m using this program to study health disparities primarily by combining biological sciences with sociology courses.  I also appreciate the small size of the Genetics program, which allows me to connect to other students and faculty more easily.

What do you plan to do after graduating from NC State?

I’m applying for a Fulbright to do LGBT public health research in Japan for a bridge year, then hope to attend graduate school for an MPH.

Care to give a shout-out to a faculty or staff member that you would like to recognize?

I’d like to thank Dr. Carlos Goller in the Biotechnology Program for his continual support and encouragement in research and my undergraduate career.

What advice would you give to students at the beginning of their degree program?

Take time to explore potential minors, GEP courses, and extracurricular activities so you can take advantage of all the opportunities across campus.

Here are a few other fun facts about Noah:

• Through the Provost’s Professional Experience Program, Noah works as a research assistant with Dr. Carlos Goller’s biotechnology laboratory.
  • He has served as a College of Sciences ambassador, orientation leader, and undergraduate admissions intern.
  • He volunteers with the GLBT Center on campus.
  • Noah has been both a genetics teaching assistant and an LSFY class assistant.
  • He’s completing the University Honors Program.
  • Noah was a finalist for both Chancellor’s Creating Community Award and Leader of the Pack.
  • Has been Editor in Chief of the Journal of Reflective Inquiry (jori.ncsu.edu).