Lauren Slayton

Interview with Lauren Slayton

BS in Genetics
Minor in Forensic Science
Anticipated Graduation:  May 2018

Fun facts about Lauren:

By seeking campus opportunities, Lauren has already accrued nearly three years of research experience in the laboratory, collecting and assimilating data, writing papers, and presenting her work.                                                                                 

What is your proudest accomplishment as an NC State student?

My proudest accomplishment is when I received my first undergraduate research grant. This allowed me to work on an awesome project, and I have now received my second grant to continue working on that project.

What do you love best about your department or major?

I love that the genetics program is smaller than a lot of the others programs.  It allows us to know our advisement and teaching staff on a more personal level.

What do you plan to do after graduating from NC State?

Hopefully, attend graduate school for Medical Diagnostic Sciences at UNC-Chapel Hill.

Care to give a shout-out to a faculty or staff member that you would like to recognize?

I would like to give a shout out to Dr. Trudy Mackay and Dr. Mary Anna Carbone as they were my mentors for my summer CMI internship, as well as Dr. Marce Lorenzen who is my mentor in the lab I currently work in. I would not be where I am in my undergraduate career if it was not for them!

What advice would you give to students at the beginning of their degree program?

Start off by learning how to perform and study well in a college setting first, before attempting other things. Once you learn how to do this efficiently, start looking for groups and clubs that interest you, and work or get an internship as soon as you can. Experience in your desired field goes a long way! And build relationships along the way too!

Here are a few other feathers in Lauren’s cap:

• Lauren served as a Genetics tutor
  • Worked as a laboratory assistant
  • Conducted her own research projects and presented results
  • Completed an internship in genetics, working to create a genetic model of hereditary canine ataxia in fruit flies.
  • Participated in research projects using CRISPR gene editing in beetles
  • Maintained insect colonies