Ledger 5 Project IDs
Ledger 5 Project IDs are overseen by the Office of Contracts and Grants. The Biological Sciences Department has two Ledger 5 Accounting Techs to support Contract and Grant activity by our faculty.
Suprava Misra (last names A-M) Send Email
Delbis Perez (last names N-Z) Send Email
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I start spending on my grant after receiving the Notice of Award?
Yes. You can request a pre-award account number before a sponsored agreement is finalized. To establish a pre-award account number in COS:
- Complete the COS Pre-Award Project Ledger 5 Request Form and have the Department Head sign.
- Attach all correspondence received from the sponsor indicating that the award funding is guaranteed.
- Attach the budget and budget justification for the pre-award account. It is COS policy to only request up to 25% of the first year budget in the pre-award account.
How, when, and/or why should I re-budget my grant?
Contact either Suprava or Delbis to initiate the process.
It is important to request re-budgeting in a timely manner. Keep in mind that, depending on the sponsor, the re-budgeting may need to be approved by the agency. This can take some time, up to 2 months.
Here are few situations when you need to re-budget:
- You want to charge to a line item which does not have enough funds.
- A line item has a negative balance.
- You want to move funds from one line item to another.
Please note that when you request re-budgeting, you need to give justification for changes to each line item.
Why are TEARS important?
As a recipient of Federal contract and grant funds, NCSU must comply with the federal requirements for documentation. TEARS reports are also used in the development of the F&A cost rate for the department. If you do not certify your effort report, you will not be in compliance with OMB Circular A-21. The University is then at risk of losing existing and future funding from sponsor agencies.
We are also required to report to the University of North Carolina General Administration (UNCGA) on efforts reports that are not certified. The TEARS record is created to capture and account for unpaid time spent working on the project.
[major-link url=”https://cng.ncsu.edu/” target=”_blank”]NC State Office of Contracts and Grants[/major-link]